ONLINE CHECK IN
 


Select your date of arrival and departure, enter the total number of persons for the reservation..

Ronciglione

Along the Via Francigena, in Tuscia, near  Vico Lake, is situated Ronciglione.

Roncio, in the local dialect, is situated on the southern Cimini mountains' slopes, on a big tuff spur at the confluence of two rivers, the Rio Vicano and the Fosso Chianello. The latter, however, since the sixteenth century flows underground through the Colmate Farnesiane that with the reclamation, embossed to the town a new development allowing it to extend over a second tuff spur.
To the first Ronciglione was accessed from Porta Castello or _ Ponte delle Tavole and Porta Pentoma.
The first mention about the town date back to 1045 and are contained in a document in which a historic man from Orvieto put this as the date of the city founding by the Vico's prefects who called it Tiber Valley et Vico Lake. The period of greatest splendor and development, however, occurred during the Renaissance, under the Farnese dominion who bought it in 1526 and made it a center economically advanced, powerful part of the Duchy of Castro and Ronciglione.

The town had a respectable manufacturing department with ramerie, ironworks, paper, ceramics, armories, printing and typography, _ thanks to which a vibrant culture linked to various academies grew; here, for example, were printed, among other many first editions such as Aminta of Torquato Tasso. In 1728 Pope Benedict XIII gave Ronciglione the title of City. The eighteenth century, however, closed dramatically with the first Roman Republic's anti-French riots, when General Valterre hanged the fire at the end of July of 1799 , he destroyed 174 buildings and all the historical archive.

The Renaissance period's Farnesian city contrasts with the medieval village divided into two centers, Above and Below, reported by the monumental Porta Romana, also known as Porta San Giovanni, built by the Duke Edward Farnese and designed by Jacopo Barozzi da Vignola.

Among the two medieval villages' narrow streets, which extend in a tuff plane to dominate the Rio Vicano Valley, you can admire the eleventh century's  Providence Church , restored in Baroque style in the first half of 700, the Santa Maria della Pace Church  in which there are fine frescoes dating back to a period between the fifteenth and the eighteenth century, and the  Sant'Andrea Church of which few vestiges remain, but of which is still visible on the fourteenth-century bell tower.

"New" Ronciglione can be discovered through an itinerary that starts from Piazza Vittorio Emanuele from which comes off Via Roma with the Romanesque San Sebastiano Church.

On the other side however, on Corso Umberto I overlook buildings and eighteenth-century's churches such as Santa Maria degli Angeli and the San Costanzo Oratory. Finally worth a visit Piazza del Comune, in which stands the Fountain of Vignola, decorated with unicorns and Farnesian lilies, and onto which overlook the Cathedral, an impressive Baroque-style building designed by Pietro da Cortona, and the Castello della Rovere, now ruins, which are still visible in the four cylindrical towers.