ONLINE CHECK IN
 


Select your date of arrival and departure, enter the total number of persons for the reservation..

Farnese circuit

The journey starts from Ronciglione, through Caprarola you get to Carbognano, continue to Vallerano and Vignanello, continuing in the direction Canepina you get to the last stage which is Soriano nel Cimino. E 'traveled by car and can be carried in within a couple of days.

Day 1From Ronciglione Caprarola, Carbognano


We start our journey from Ronciglione, which was the second capital of the Duchy of Castro and Ronciglione Farnese. In the center of the village you can admire the Fountain of unicorns and the Porta Romana, both commissioned by the Farnese family.
The Fountain of unicorns, attributed to Vignola, was actually commissioned by Cardinal Alessandro Farnese architect Antonio Gentile da Faenza. Made of sandstone, has three unicorns, spouting water that feeds the tanks below.
The Roman Gate was built in 1662 by order of the Duke Odoardo Farnese and erroneously attributed to Vignola. She now divides the old town from the south. Also worth visiting is the medieval village of Ronciglione with its Renaissance palaces full of breathtaking views. Always Ronciglione are the ruins of an ancient archaeological site along the Rio industrial Vicano, a stream which flows out of Lake Vico. The Etruscans dug a culvert to lower the water level of a few meters, the Farnese they provided and to improve the channel.
After visiting Ronciglione, heading towards Rome for about 4 Km meet the reserve hunting Barco, of great natural importance, to achieve it we put on the SP82 continue for about 2.7km at the road to Rome, on the left we find what remains of the hunting of the Farnese family, the area is characterized by a number of springs that flow into the trenches in some parts of the Etruscan period.
Leaving the Game Reserve Barco continue the SP69 that will lead directly to Piazza San Marco in Caprarola starting point of the "straight path."
The urban structure of the country it was fully developed in accordance with the architectural requirements of the Farnese Palace; In fact, as early as the Piazza San Marco you can catch a glimpse of the beautiful Palazzo Farnese CEH overlooking the medieval village with its glimpses of great beauty. The Palazzo Farnese is one of the finest examples of Renaissance residence, the project was created for defensive purposes, with pentagonal structure; work began in 1530 and suspended in 1534 following his election to the Papacy of Cardinal Alessandro Farnese, Paul III appointed. The work began in 1559 entrusted to Vignola, who modified the structure from a fortress to a Renaissance palace. Inside the building you can admire the magnificent Scala Regia, a spiral staircase resting on thirty Doric columns and steps so large that they could be boarded horse by Alexander Farnese.Attraverso this staircase leads to the main floor, here we find the hall of Hercules, masterfully decorated by the Zuccari brothers depicting the mythological creation of Lake Vico. They attract visitors also several rooms such as the impressive Hall of Splendour and the Council of Trent, which Vignola has skillfully recreated, with the brush, columns lifelike; Hall of Aurora; the Hall of the Globe, where he represented the known world from the descriptions of travelers; Hall of Angels or the Echo, where they occur special sound effects and sound. The frescoes of the palace was entrusted to a number of talented artists such as: Zuccari brothers, Jacopo Bertoia said Bertoja, notivo Antonio Tempesta of Florence, Raffaellino from Reggio, the Flemish Bartholomew Spranger, Giovanni de Vecchi, and other minor artists. Inside the palace there is a space "humanized" of Bramante circular courtyard which is still used in the summer for concerts and cultural events.
Our route continues a little further north, leaving Caprarola to head towards Carbognano, taking the SP35 for about 4 km (8 min.).
The town is worth a visit to the Castle of Giulia Farnese, the legendary figure of the Italian Renaissance. His legend is mainly related to his troubled love affair with Rodrigo Borgia, began when Julia was still a child. We point out that the castle is open to visitors only from the outside since it belongs to a private person.


Day 2 in Vallerano and Vignanello Canepina, Soriano nel Cimino


Let Carbognano and continue our journey in the north of the ESA., Along the provincial road SP65 for about 8 km (15 min.) We are in Vallerano. Here we find the Church of Our Lady of the Stream, this church was built to solemnize the miracle of the bleeding from the lips of the image of the Virgin Mary that adorned a small kiosk located near the stream that flows near the town. Throughout the building style that prevails is the baroque, but the baroque lavish and sumptuous gold with stucco, but kind of slender, harmonious considerable influence of the Renaissance.
Let Vallerano through the SP25 and continue for 1.7 km (4 min) come to Vignanello, where we find the Castello Ruspoli (1531-1538), the castle and its garden are considered one of the major attractions of Viterbo. The castle was founded as a fortress, built by Benedictine monks, but then following the alternations of power over the management of the village, the medieval fortress was transformed into majestic castle still be visited today.
Returning to Vallerano and along the SP25 to the west for about 4 km (10 min.) We find the country of Canepina, where after visiting the charming medieval village, we visit the Church of St. Michael the Archangel and the Church of Santa Maria Assunta; that of St. Michael the Archangel, from the late Renaissance, has a fresco of the Crucifixion and a painting depicting 600 "The Incredulity of Saint Thomas". The church of Santa Maria Assunta was built in forms sangallesche in the 500, has a silver chalice and paten by a fifteenth-century goldsmith Viterbo.
Leaving Canepina we head in Soriano nel Cimino, the last leg of our short journey to discover the Tuscia Renaissance. We will then continue the path north along the SP25 and SP32 for about 10 km (15 min.). Here Soriano are the Palazzo Chigi-Albani, built in the second half of the sixteenth century, consists of two buildings leaning, preceded by an atrium terrace, designed by Octavian Schiratti; see also Fountain Papacqua, the work of the sixteenth century mannerist also designed by Octavian Schiratti, and having a series of sculptures.