ONLINE CHECK IN
 


Select your date of arrival and departure, enter the total number of persons for the reservation..

Caprarola
History and Tourism

The town of Caprarola is closely linked to the imposing Palazzo Farnese that dominates the country and serves as a hub to all the historical center. It was built from the beginning of the sixteenth century on an existing pentagonal fortress started by Sangallo.

The feud was bought in Caprarola 1504 by Pope Julius II and was later chosen as the site for the construction of a summer residence by Cardinal Alessandro Farnese, nephew of Paul III. Near the palace opened the halls of the Stables, recently restructured so as to conferences and cultural activities. Impressive building on three levels, designed by Vignola but only completed in 1585. the ground floor shelter for horses, the first floor storage carriages, litters, forage and harness, while the first and the second floor were for servitude. But it was not only the palace to mark the new intervention pignolesco, which extended even to its urban layout of the village, designed as a community at the service of the nobles. The houses, designed by Vignola, are arranged symmetrically in order to further enhance the prospect "palace", whose imposing façade is already known distance between two rows of five houses - seventeenth century.
These are arranged along an axis open by Vignola, an access road to the palace, partly elevated, now Via Nicolai, also called Via Straight. On this road are, facing each other, ilpalazzo Riario, (already Anguillara) and the Collegiate St. Michael the Archangel, built by Valadier on the site of a church of the '400 was destroyed during a fire in 1817. The church St. Mary of Consolation was built in 1515 and expanded by Cardinal Alessandro Farnese in 1570. some parts were rebuilt in the following century. The interior has a nave with eight side chapels, houses a series of stucco and frescoes of the XVI-XVII century and a fine wooden ceiling carved with scenes of the Coronation of the Virgin and figures of Sant and enriched by the many paintings. Not far from the old town, isolated between green and chestnut trees, you can admire the church of Santa Teresa with the adjoining convent. The church was first dedicated to Santa Maria and then to San Silvestro recalling the incident that saw Pope Sylvester I, on the run from the capital to the Roman persecutions, refuge right here in Caprarola. Built to the design of Rainaldi in the seventeenth century, has a single nave, has an altar painting by Guido Reni (Virgin with St. Teresa and St. Joseph), on the right a shovel of Turks (St. Anthony of Padua preaching to the fish), whereas on the left is a painting by Lanfranco (San Silvestro that binds the lips of a dragon). In the sacristy are preserved two valuable reliquaries in gilded wood of the sixteenth century. The facade is of granite and presents the Farnese lilies. Alessandro Farnese entrusted, (1530), the project of building the first to Antonio da Sangallo the Younger, who gave the building the characteristic pentagonal shape and appearance of a palace-fortress, then, these dead, and wanting to transform the building in a summer residence, entrusted the task to a bevy of architects led by Jacopo Barozzi da Vignola (1559 to 1564 when he died). The construction was completed only in 1575, designed Vignola, while the gardens were completed later by Jacopo del Duca and Girolamo Rainaldi. The palace would consecrate the power and the glory of the house of European rank. Inside you have a superb cycle of frescoes and decorations made on a study of Annibal Caro and entrusted to a group of artists including the brothers Zuccari, the Bertoja, Giovanni de 'Vecchi, Raffaellino from Reggio, Giovanni Antonio da Varese, Antonio Tempesti and others. The result is a princely residence who plays in every detail court life crowded with artists, writers, men of art and culture, family, servants, all included in a strict hierarchy, masterfully transferred in the work of construction, which is at the top of the social scale the "ladies" in a world alien to human miseries. It is reserved for the main floor, which is accessed by a spiral staircase of rare beauty. The building consists of five levels: floor of the Underground, the Prelates, Nobile plan, plan and plan of the Knights of Staffieri. It is accessed by a staircase with double helical ramp and then, from the first terrace, a staircase with two flights converging entrance halls of honor. In the hall the frescoes on the walls depicting the ports of Malta and Messina, once various crests Farnese and two views of Caprarola by Federico Zuccari. On the left, a spiral staircase, the Scala Regia, a masterpiece of Vignola, punctuated by 30 Doric columns in peperino marble, frescoed by Tempesti with landscapes, grotesques, mottos, emblems, enterprises, leading to the first floor, to the level of the lodge of ionic courtyard . It includes the state rooms and private apartments, sharply divided from the subject of the iconographic cycle that affects them and the fact that they are painted only in times. The sector representation includes: Hall of the facts of Hercules: (Federico Zuccari), is decorated with a rustic fountain in mosaic, stucco and limestone concretions with marble putti throwing water in a tub of antique yellow. The vault is decorated with stucco, the walls from views of feuds Farnese. Chapel: (Federico Zuccari), harmonious circular with a floor elegant marble and terracotta dichotomous. Valuable frescoes of the vault, also adorned with precious stucco, with biblical stories. Sala dei Fasti Farnese: (Taddeo Zuccari), one of the richest environments. Large frames, admirably frescoed celebrate the most important events of Cardinal Alessandro Farnese. In the vault stands, including precious stucco, the coat of arms of the family, and are depicted feats of arms, investitures and treaties of the noble family. Hall of the Council of Trent (Taddeo Zuccari), large panes seem to be inspired by Raphael, the Vatican rooms. Illustrate the most important episodes of the pontificate of Paul III, including the convening of the famous Council. On the vault, adorned with stucco friezes and arabesques, The Coronation of Paul III. Other frescoes on the walls.

Things to see:

Palazzo Farnese - Church of Santa Teresa

How to reach from Sans Soucis Relais & Spa:


Through Provincial Road 1 / SP1 - distance of 10.2 km - drive time 15 min.